Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Confession

...I hate e-mail.

Not as much as I hate voice mail but enough that I never EVER want to open my e-mail.

There's always so much ... CRAP ... in there.

Stuff I don't remember signing up for. Or stuff I had to give my e-mail to in order to get the ONE thing I wanted even though I've never gone to that website again. Or even stuff that I really would like to read and educate myself about if only I had an extra 14 hours in a day.

Today I am at work and it is slow so it was the perfect day to go into my e-mail and clean it out. There were over 600 e-mails in there! So I just went as fast as I could. I put everything in alphabetical order by sender, clicked on the first e-mail of each sender that I did not want to ever see again and scrolled down to "unsubscribe here." I did not read the e-mails and as soon as I unsubscribed from the first one, I deleted all the other e-mails from that sender. I also moved the old work-related and bill-payment-related e-mails to their respective "Save" folders. And I got rid of over 400 e-mails that way. YAY!

Of the not quite 200 that are left, a lot of those are from family/friends (like my MOM) and most are old or have a conversation thread several e-mails long. So next, I will go through all of those to make sure there is no pertinent information (like new cell numbers) and I will either delete or move them to their save folders. I imagine most of them will be deleted ~ not sure why I still have e-mails discussing last Thanksgiving's get-together, but, whatever, we'll be taking care of those shortly!

After that, hopefully, my e-mail will not be so crowded and I will not mind going through my new e-mails so much. I will probably have to do the unsubscribe thing again in a week or so to catch any I missed this time. Other than that, if this doesn't work, I'll be starting over fresh with a new account for friends and family only!



UPDATE:

I now have only 70 e-mails. Still too many but over half are for the kids' 4H and I will have to actually read those. And I'm done for the day so they can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment